I haven’t been posting much but that doesn’t mean that nothing is going on – quite the opposite in fact. Some of the goings on have to do with the on going drama that’s been the subject of recent posts and some of the goings on have to do with a project my sister & I have been discussing. The drama will be updated fairly soon – maybe even tonight as I have had time to process the latest installation but it WILL be friends only or whatever that is currently called. The previous installations will also be hidden also.
On a more cheerful note! Sister and I always seem to have something going on – somethings that are interesting and I would like to think that others would like to read about. They are usually homesteading or do it yourself related. Sometimes more like do yourself in than what was intended. I had an idea (my dh just ducked) that went something like this:
- We are doing all this cool stuff that nobody but us knows about
- On two different budgets
- In different parts of the country – Illinois and Arkansas. Extremely rural and kind of Urban.
- In overlapping stages of life – I am older, married longer, more kids while she is younger and has fewer kids. I am reaching the do-it-or-get-off-the-pot stage of life. Our kids do overlap in ages so that is a big plus. I have young kids so I have not forgotten how much help they can be…and if you add a touch of sarcasm you will have my meaning.
- We both write so there will be consistency in posting.
- And we get to get around my biggest pet peeve – we will actually be DOING what we are writing about, or researching, or explaining why we do what we do. I have found blogs that do this but
- they rewrite without actually doing
- they have no kids
- they have lots of money
- or if they have no money they live in places with good resources for resale or scrounging. Listen Craig’s List is wonderful if you live where people actually make money to buy stuff they end up selling cheap but when you live where people do not make good money…if they are selling stuff you need it’s usually almost the price of brand new. Craig’s List works best when there’s money around.
- they don’t explain why they did what they did
- Plus while we agree an quite a lot of things we also have different points of view on some parts of life. Really my baby sister puts up with her oldest sibling dancing on stage to Lady Gaga while wearing feathers on her rear-end. She is a nurse who was a single mother for several years & did quite well for herself. I may have ideas but she has the “get her done” gene. We are a nice compliment to each other.
An example of what some of our post would be about: in the past month Sister has learned to make cheese from goats milk and gotten her first shipment of bees. I have started comfrey and found a site I would highly recommend for those also interested.
Then there’s this thought: there might be side ads to see how that works out for money. I DO NOT expect much along those lines – not at all so why try? I found some cool heirloom corn that is absolutely beautiful! I joined the supporters of Native Seeds/Search to get my name on the list. I had been a member years ago because I believe in their purpose found here and here. After awhile I did not renew as we lived in town with limited garden space and no room to experiment with seeds. Shortly after joining, I received an email that the corn seed was available at a cost of $8 for 50 seeds. After much, much contemplation I could not justify spending that much for any seed when my last two gardens have been terrible due to drought and lack of time. Becoming a member at the squash level for plus seed price means each seed kernel would be $.76 each. BUT if we did by chance have a couple of dollars in the ad fund it could go toward some seeds or perhaps an idea we wanted to try. OR if we have a blog then such purchases are research and the cost could be justified
I ran the idea past my sister who seemed agreeable – agreeable enough that she had a few ideas of her own to add to the mix. For such enthusiasm she gets promoted: instead of Sister C she is Christine in IL.
This blog will still be here – I want more personnel thoughts, musings and kids to remain here. There is a reason this blog is not, nor will ever be, linked at facebook.
But we need a name! Sister suggested “Right Here, Right Now” as the opposite of “Sooner or Later” but umm…that seems rather militant and more a call to political action than to gardening. Plus it does not help identify what we are writing about. Sister had other suggestions which have slipped my mind.
Sister just messaged me with these suggestions: Garden of Weedin, Hometopia, and Growing Homes
Ideas? Suggestions? Recommendations?
3 Responses to “Help with a name please”